Login Register

Nuneaton Town 2, Wrexham 0: Match report

By MIG2-Nuneaton News  |  Posted: September 09, 2013

  • 07/09/13 Nuneaton Town FC - Liberty Way Attleborough, Nuneaton NNJA 070913 NT 15 GOAL.2 - 0 Wrexham .Andy Brown's celebrates his strike to put Boro 1 - 0 up.Photographer - Jim Jarvis

Comments (0)

SECOND place in Skrill Premier on goal difference, non league giants made to look like a pub team and now three players in the England C squad - can it get any better for Nuneaton Town?

The logical answer is no, but with the side playing this well even the most cynical of fans can dare to dream.

Calling Saturday’s opponents Wrexham a pub team is of course doing them a disservice, but it is a term that Boro have been labelled with in the early stages of what is proving to be an unbelievable start to the season.

However, they are showing week in, week out they are far better than that.

As has been the case all season, this was no fluke. Yes Wrexham had the best of the first half, but Kevin Wilkin’s men dominated their more illustrious neighbours after the break.

Andy Brown broke the deadlock after 74 minutes and Louis Moult added a second in stoppage time shortly before learning he had been promoted into the England C squad.

The truth is the margin of victory could have been more as once again the midfield and front two looked dangerous.

Behind them the back four was in prime form as James Belshaw was given little to do in goal.

There were two changes to the team which played so well to beat Grimsby Town last time out.

It was already known that Belshaw would replace Dimi Evtimov in goal as he was away with Bulgaria Under-21s.

There was a surprise change though as Amari’i Bell missed out with a dead leg. With no other specialist left-back in the squad David McNamee came in, the right-back making a fine first appearance of the season.

There was a late piece of good news as skipper Gaz Dean passed a fitness test on his calf muscle strain to make his 250th appearance, although he never looked fully comfortable physically.

Wrexham controlled the early play as youngster Rob Evans was involved in all their best work in the first half.

He forced Belshaw into a comfortable save with a crisp strike from 25 yards. Boro’s first shot took 20 minutes to arrive when Adam Walker drilled a volley over from just outside the box.

Evans was in the thick of the action again after 23 minutes. He wanted a penalty for what was actually a good tackle by Dean.

The ball wasn’t cleared though and he tried his luck from 20 yards. Belshaw was well beaten but he was able to watch the ball curl a yard wide.

Danny Sleath had a good chance for Boro three minutes later when he was unmarked at the back post after James Armson’s free-kick ran through to him.

His touch let him down though and that gave Joslain Mayebi the chance to race out and block with his legs.

The best chance of the half came in stoppage time. Mayebi came out rashly and Moult beat him to it.

He did well to lob the ball over the keeper as Neil Ashton raced back. He was beaten as well, but the ball came back off the post and was cleared by Leon Clowes.

Boro started the second half well and only got better from there. Moult saw a sharp turn and shot held by Mayebi after 51 minutes before Walker came desperately close two minutes later when he fired inches wide from the edge of the box.

Boro were getting plenty of joy with quick balls behind the full-backs.

One such from Armson found Moult but his shot was well blocked by Clowes.

It should have been 1-0 soon after when another ball in behind found Armson. He was two on one with Sleath in support, but his pass was awful as Clowes cleared.

There was a warning sign with 20 minutes to go when a poor free-kick from Armson was cleared. Former Boro man Kevin Thornton broke clear and raced fully 60 yards before shooting wide.

The goal finally came though yet another ball behind the struggling Wrexham right-back Steve Tomassen.

Belshaw punted it clear, Moult flicked on for Sleath and he sprinted forwards.

He got his head up and picked out Brown at the far post with an excellent ball. Brown had time to look up and smash a fourth of the season past Mayebi from eight yards. It was almost two a minute later as the same players combined.

This time Sleath put in a right footed cross which Brown met with a diving header. Fans were already celebrating only for the eccentric Mayebi to prove his worth with an outstanding save, low to his left.

Moult’s performance also deserved a goal, but he looked set to miss out. In the 83rd minute he was denied by another good stop by Mayebi and then with three minutes to go he hit a fierce shot from distance that flashed wide.

The key moment of the closing stages came with a minute to go. Wrexham had done nothing in the second half but they almost snatched a point when Ashton’s near post header came back off the bar before being cleared.

There was a final scare when Belshaw rushed out of the box and barged Andy Bishop over. Nothing was given but Wrexham did win a free-kick seconds later.

Boro broke at speed when it was fed in low. Walker raced over halfway and cross for Moult, who chested it down and coolly beat Mayebi from 10 yards for a fifth of the season.

BORO (4-4-2): Belshaw 7; Streete 8, Dean (c) 8, Cowan 8, McNamee (Gordon 88) 8; York (Taylor 90+1) 7, Armson 7, Walker 8, Sleath 8; Moult 8, Brown 8; Subs not used: Adams, M Bell, Pearson

REFEREE: Paul Rees 8

ATTENDANCE: 1,561 (251 away)

BORO STAR MAN: Danny Sleath

Read more from Nuneaton News

Do you have something to say? Leave your comment here...

max 4000 characters