MAN’S best friend played a part in causing a blaze at a home.
The prized pooch is understood to have turned on a cooker at an address in Burbage.
The pet jumped up somehow managing to switch on the cooker’s hob had been left there by a resident.
Smoke was seen issuing from the property in The Meadows off Sapcote Road by several passers-by.
A number of 999 calls soon alerted Leicestershire Fire and Rescue Service to the emergency and two crews from Hinckley Fire Station arrived at the scene.
A spokesperson for Leicestershire Fire and Rescue Service said: “We answered to reports of smoke issuing from a property in The Meadows, Burbage off Sapcote Road.
“It was a two storey semi detached property with smoke coming from the front.
“Two crews from Hinckley dealt with the fire which was located in a ground floor flat.
“One hose reel jet and two breathing apparatus were used.”
The fire was reported at 10.04am on Tuesday morning, with the blaze completely under control by 10.23am.
Damage was thankfully kept to a minimum and the dog is not believed to have been harmed during its ordeal.
Firefighters remained on the scene to free the property of smoke using a positive pressure ventilator.
The spokesperson for the fire service added that there was some damage caused to the kitchen area of the home.
“The cause of the fire was confirmed as clothing left on the top of a cooker,” added the spokesman.
“A dog is believed to have jumped up and turned the electric hob on the cooker.
“There was slight damage caused to the kitchen.
“Officers ventilated the flat using a positive pressure ventilator.”