CAMPAIGNERS have expressed serious concerns about a planning application to build 120 homes in Nuneaton.
Almost one year after the first public consultation, Bellway Homes has formally submitted an application to create the properties with access from the Long Shoot.
But the CV11 Action Group, residents who banded together when the proposals first came to light, say that these plans bear little resemblance to the ideas that were presented to them through the consultations and discussions.
Chairman of the group, Glyn Chapman, said: “Bellway in their contact with us have seemingly wanted to engage with residents on drawing up this design.
“It is now clear that it was just political consultation; with higher density of housing than ever previously mentioned and more to follow, it seems their only aim is profit.”
CV11 Action Group has three major concerns about the plans.
The first is the proximity of the new homes to existing residents of St Nicolas Park, without the promised shielding of open landscaped spaces adjacent to existing properties.
The second relates to flooding, in the two previous proposals provision was made for water attenuation by means of a pool/reservoir, but the drainage is now to be provided by two, 800 ton capacity, underground tanks.
According to the submitted plans one of the tanks will be adjacent to the homes which border the site on Pallett Drive and Callendar Close.
A spokesperson for the group said: “Who will be responsible for their maintenance and what risks do they pose, both during construction and in the future, for existing residents who border at the lowest part of the site, and who are already at the risk of flooding?”
The third problem that has been highlighted by the group is two truncated roads on the new plan, which if connected would lead on to Pallett Drive.
The spokesperson added: “The second of these truncated roads leads directly on to more farm land which clearly indicates the intention to expand housing further in the future.
“CV11 Action Group are extremely disappointed that none of our concerns re traffic congestion, lack of school provision, lack of doctors surgeries, air pollution, risk of flooding, loss of green field habitat, and loss of valuable farm land have been taken into consideration.
“We are also extremely disappointed with Nuneaton and Bedworth Borough Council and their apparent unwillingness to produce a borough plan.
“We once again back calls to question the 7,900 new homes supposedly required in this borough and contend that the actual need for new homes is significantly lower.
“We are all aware of the outcome of the Weddington application we now have the Long Shoot application for 120 homes and it seems that AR Cartwright are holding a consultation on Friday, July 20 about building south of Gypsy Lane.
“This is the last opportunity for local residents to raise objections to the Long Shoot proposals.
“Please view the plan either at the council offices or online at the Nuneaton and Bedworth Borough Council website.
“The application number for this plan is 031589. You must write or email the Planning Department, the deadline for contacting the council is August 3.”